Fortunately someone had the initiative and the means to do something about it. The link below goes to a forum thread which tells of a new master list server, and what you can do to connect to it.
The solution I went for, and which works beautifully, was to modify my HOSTS file, which forces the game to contact the new server instead of GameSpy’s old one. Simply add the following line to the HOST file:
And this is how you do that:
- Right-click on the Notepad icon and select “Run as administrator”.
- When asked “Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?”, answer “Yes”.
- Go to the “File” menu and select “Open”.
- Copy and paste the following line in the “File name” box and press “Open”.
- Add the following line to the bottom of the text and save the file.
- You’re good to go!
Big thanks to the people at –=[ aX ]=– for taking the initiative to keep the Battlefield 1942 gaming community running!
Edit: I’ve heard that users of Avira antivirus may not be able to edit the HOSTS file due to security restrictions.
For Origin players, although Battlefield 1942 was removed from the game shop, I’ve been informed that those who purchased the free edition will still keep that in their library.